Dr. David B. Brown
Director, Computing and Information Division, Engineering Research Lab,
College of Engineering
Professor, Department of Computer Science
The University of Alabama
Phone: (205) 348-6363
Fax: (205) 348-0219
Extended resume also available!
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University, 1969
- M.S. Industrial Engineering, Montana State University, 1967
- B.S. Industrial Engineering, Rutgers University, 1966
- Director, Computing and Information Division, Engineering
Research Lab, College of Engineering, 1997-present
- Professor and Head, Computer Science Department, The University of Alabama,
- Professor, CSE Department, Auburn University, 1990-1991
- Professor and Interim Head, CSE Department, Auburn University, 1987-1990
- Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Auburn, 1984-1987
- Associate & Full Professor, IE Department, Auburn University, 1974-1984
- Assistant Professor, Industrial Engineering Dept, Auburn and Rutgers, 1969-1974
- Technical Management
- Information Mining
- Large Database Systems
- Software Testing
- Traffic Safety Applications
Dr. Brown's recent research, sponsored by the U.S. Army BMD Command and NASA, has been in the design and development of
software test environments. He was the Principal Investigator in the development of an environment for testing Ada source code. Dr.
Brown's interests extend to large database processing systems, having designed and developed software systems which have been
utilized by several states to perform traffic accident and citation records processing for traffic safety applications. His research in this
area has been sponsored by NHTSA and the State Justice Institute. Dr. Brown is a registered professional engineer; a reviewer for
IEEE Software, TIMS, and IEEE Transactions on Reliability; a senior member of IEEE and IIE; a member of ACM, TRB, and
AAAM; and a member of the APM and UPE honor societies.
- Brown, D., TECHNIMANAGEMENT: The Human Side of the Technical Organization, Prentice-Hall, 1995.
- Brown, D., Roggio, R., Cross, J., McCreary, C, "An Automated Oracle for Software Testing." IEEE Transactions of Reliability, 2(vol. 41): 279-295, June, 1992.
- Chang, K., Cross, J., Carlisle, W., Brown, D., "A Framework for Intelligent Test Data Generation." Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, vol. 5, pp 147-165, June, 1992.
- Cross, J., Chang, K., Carlisle, W., Brown, D., "Expert System Assisted Test Data Generation for Software Branch Coverage." Data and Knowledge Engineering, 4(vol. 6): 279-295, July, 1991.
- Deason, W., Brown, D., Chang, K., Cross, J., "A Rule-Based Software Test Data Generator." IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1(vol. 3): 108-117, March, 1991.
- Brown, D., Maghsoodloo, S., Deason, W., "A Cost Model for Determining the Optimal Number of Software Test Cases." IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering, 2(vol. 15): 218-221, February, 1989.
Comments | CS Home | CoE Home | UA Home